QUOTATIONS FROM THE FRENCH REVOLUTION AND NAPOLEON
DIRECTIONS: Read each of the following quotations and then chose the individual you believe to be the speaker from the list of individuals which follows. Write the name of the speaker on the appropriate blank.
Possible Ansswers: Danton, Louis XVI, Marat, Metternict, Mirabeau, Napoleon, Olympe de Gouges, Robespierre, Sieyes, Talleyrand.
1. ________"I am innocent and shall die without fear. I would that my death might bring happiness to the French and ward off the dangers which I forsee."
2. ________"I closed the gulf of anarchy and cleared the chaos. I excited every kind of emulation, rewarded every kind of merit, and extended the limits of glory."
3. ________"If the basis of popular government in time of peace is virtue, virtue without which terror is murderous, terror without virtue is powerless. Terror is nothing else than swift, severe, indomitable justice: it flows, then, from virtue."
4. ________"My power proceeds from my reputation, and my reputation from victories I have won. My power would fail if I were not to support it with more glory and more victories.
5. ________"The Third Estate embraces then all that which belongs to the nation: and all that which is not the Third Estate, cannot be regarded as being of the nation."
6. ________"Language was given to man in order to conceal thought."
7. ________"We look upon it as a fundamental truth, that for every disease there is a remedy, and that the knowledge of the real nature of the one should lead to the discovery of the other."
8. ________"Everything belongs to the fatherland, when the fatherland is in danger."
9. ________"Prior to the revolution 'France was an old nation,' in that it had "a preesisting government, a preexisting king, and preexisting prejudices."
10. ________"'Tis in vain the idea of Providence has been placed in men's hearts, if so much blood does not one day come back upon thee and thy accomplices."
11. ________"Woman is born free and lives equal to man in her rights. Social distinctions can be based only on the comon utility."