QUOTATIONS FROM THE EUROPEANS' WORLD SUPREMACY
Directions: Read each of the following quotations and then choose the individual you believe to be the speaker from the list of individuals listed below. Write the name of the speaker on the appropriate blank.
Possible Answers:Disraeli, Chamberlain, Freud, Gladstone, Hobson, Kipling, Rhodes, Stanley, Victoria, von Treitschke
1. _________ "Philanthropy is all very well, but philanthropy plus five per cent is a good deal better."
2. _________ "I repeat...that all power is a trust; that we are accountable for its exercise; that from the people, and for the people, all springs, and all must exist."
3. _________ "National injustice is the surest road to national downfall."
4. _________ "Dr. Livingstone, I presume."
5. _________ "The day of small nations has long passed away. The day of Empires has come."
6. _________"Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."
7. _________ "Great events make me quiet and calm; it is only trifles that irritate my nerves."
8. _________ "Every virile people has established colonial power."
9. ________ "The poets and philosophers before me discovered the unconscious; what I discovered was the scientific method by which the unconscious can be studied."
10. ________ "Small numbers of men, controlling great wealth and looking for quick profits, used their social and political connections to obtain government protection of their investments."
11. ________"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster...while he looks into an abyss, he sees that the abyss also looks into him."